Dental implants are the best alternative to make up for the loss of natural teeth. At Newport Smiles Dental Spa, we specialize in several full-tooth restorations, including dental implants. The implant consists of a ceramic crown and a titanium root resembling a natural tooth. The dentist inserts these implants in a patient's jawbone to fill the space left by the missing tooth, thereby restoring the look, feel, and function of the natural tooth.
What are the disadvantages of missing teeth?
- Missing teeth can cause difficulty in biting and chewing food and lead to malnourishment.
- The missing front teeth can be very embarrassing, leading to a loss of confidence in an individual. They can cause damage to the remaining teeth as they could drift towards the gap of the missing tooth.
- Missing teeth can lead to premature aging as the missing teeth can make the jawbone shrink, and as a result, the muscles of the face begin to sag.
- Multiple health problems like gum diseases and chronic headaches may occur.
What is the procedure involved in getting dental implants?
The dental implant procedure takes place with several consultations over a period of time. Factors such as jawbone size, diabetes, blood pressure, and overall health of the patient will be considered before carrying out the actual process of implantation. A few x-rays and scans of the patient's mouth will serve as a reference for preparing the crown and support the doctor in preparing the patient for the surgery.
The dentist will first numb the teeth by using local anesthesia. We will then make a small hole in the jawbone in place of the missing tooth and insert the implant in it. The implant is further secured firmly with dental cement. A considerable time is allowed for the healing process so that the jawbone will grow around the implant's grooves and the gums partially cover the stud.
The next phase involves the dentist placing the crown on the implant and checking it for a perfect fit. If required, the necessary changes will be carried out before bonding it permanently using dental adhesives. A bite test is conducted, and the implant crown will be polished.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Dental implants are highly sought-after as they are a permanent replacement for missing teeth.
- The implants restore the original function of the natural teeth.
- A successful implant will provide a comfortable and natural-looking tooth that blends in with the surrounding teeth and also enhance the aesthetics of your smile.
- Implants provide excellent strength and stability as they are fixed in the jawbone.
- The ceramic crown may only wear as much as the natural enamel, which is negligible.
- The implants do not require any additional care other than regular brushing and flossing daily.
How painful are the implants?
The dental implants are not painful when compared to fixing an implant. It is a lot easier than extracting a tooth. The uneasiness usually lasts for a few days after the fitting of the dental implant. The implants begin to feel like natural teeth once the implants heal and bind to the jawbone.
How should you take care of the dental implants?
It is very important to care proper care of the implants so that they last for a longer duration. The cleansing of the teeth attached to the implants is as simple as cleansing the natural teeth. However, you may need to visit your dentists for routine check-ups.
Call us at (949) 642-1033 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants.